ICAD June 2015 Week 03

The prompts for this week did nothing for me, but I did like the technique prompts which called for collage.

I always have bits & pieces of interesting papers and 'stuff' around. It is more a matter of making the choices than that of finding something!

I did want to be less random about the next 7 cards though so I decided to make a large background piece in Photoshop using a variety of tools and printed it in grey scale. This would give me a starting point for a thread that would allow me to create a cohesive set of cards.


From here on I cut, tore, painted, sprayed and otherwise altered the original print.

Day 15 -  I stuck the plain card onto the print and trimmed it out. That was when  I noticed the word 'commerce' on the bottom. That decided the 'theme' for me. I found a couple stamps to suit, dug into the postage stamp collection and found some stamps from Zimbabwe that suited the bill. They all have to do with commerce in one way or another and the colours worked with what I had sprayed onto the card for a start. I also added thin white tissue to push some elements more into the background. Gesso will do the same but I like the look and feel of tissue paper.




Day 16 -  The first layer for this was the blue tissue paper that a gift was wrapped in. I used some of yesterday's off cuts from the printed paper as well as another stamp, that fitted with the colours that were already on the card. That snippet from a letter from a friend fitted in both in colour and subject matter. Some stamping and added colour (water colour) was all that was needed. Finally a blast of yellow alcohol ink to introduce some warmth into the rather cool card. Reminds me of the midnight sun in the arctic.



Day 17 - I had a grey image of a flower on the card, which I tried to bring out with paint and colour pencil, but totally unsuccessfully. Eventually the only way to rescue it, was to cut a flower and stick it on. Not quite what I was aiming for, but not a total loss either. I do like the rest of the card though! The thick white paint is so great to work with. It has just enough moisture left to be smeared.




Day 18 - I liked the look of the cut outs from yesterday's flower, so decided to use the negative pieces here. I had cut the flowers from the backing paper that catches the spray by etc. A few off-cuts from the collage sheet and a couple of postage stamps was all I felt it needed to be finished. A really 'simple' card that I could have done a lot more too....and had to work hard to resist doing!




Day 19 - I remembered these gecko images cut from a Telus ad, and since 'collage' was in order for the week, they were included. They make me smile. I had another of those flowers here that gave me trouble on Day 17. This time I painted it bright yellow and covered the whole flower with a yellow dimension paint thingie that I bought years ago. I was surprised (and pleased) it hadn't dried up yet. Then I scooped some left over gold glitter glue from and old and drying glitter glue pen, for the center.  I like the grainy water colours...




Day 20 - More gecko and more grainy water colours. I like the wc so much on yesterday's card I decided I had to play with it some more. I think I would faint of wc did this on a painting, but for this kind of stuff it is perfect! Yay for very cheap high school water colour boxes! The stack of balls of wool/yarn are from yarn catalogues.




Day 21 - Faced with yet another flower, I decided to go dimensional again, this time using coloured paper and it turned out ok. I snipped the tip off the QP that I used a couple days before for the glitter glue, and stuck that on the flower center. I had one more gecko left and decided to include him with his buddies in the set.




The experiment with the collage paper was interesting, and I'm sure I will be doing more along those lines, but even so I'm glad to move on to another set of cards for next week, with a different focus.
I'm enjoying this icad adventure, although I must say it is rather monopolizing my desk at the moment. I don't see myself doing this as a 365 thing, but certainly as something to keep on doing in bursts. It is the perfect way to do something refreshing and creative when you are pressed for time or even limited in supplies.
I have a few ideas for themes that I think will work better in index card form than in a journal/book form, but I'll see what is needed as soon as I get to planning more details for their execution.

For more information on this year's icad take a look HERE

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Icad 2016 - Batch 02

Circus ATC